Rugby: Lincoln 3rds 22 - 29 Market Rasen & Louth 3rds

Market Rasen & Louth 3rds get stuck in
Market Rasen & Louth 3rds get stuck in
Share this article

Market Rasen 3rd team travelled to the new home of Lincoln RFC at Nettleham fo this Lincolnshire Merit League fixture.

As expected, the playing surface was very good and the weather was bright but chilly.

Market Rasen 3rds try to adhere to the principle that they do not kick the rugby ball unless they are in a position of defending their lines, so they attempt to play the game by continually recycling possession.

This ethos of course does not extend to the opposition, who certainly, during the first half, kicked a lot of the possession they had worked hard to gain.

Rasen full back Rory Day, who safely gathered everything that came his way, eagerly gobbled this up and he then counter attacked with gusto and great effect.

With the quality of the Rasen threequarters this resulted in a first half of good attacking rugby, which Lincoln struggled to contain.

Rasen started the game having to play into the setting November sun, but this proved to be no handicap and after a couple of minutes play they worked the ball to Ricky Robinson on the left wing, who from an unpromising position, beat a number of Lincoln defenders to score in the corner.

About a minute later, a Lincoln attack was firmly repelled by a tackle from the imposing figure of Eddie Green.

With about ten minutes played, a Lincoln attack was stemmed by a combined tackle from James Lambert and Andy Thompson, but unfortunately in the collision Andy took a blow to the head, which resulted in him taking no further part in proceedings.

Shortly afterwards Harry Wallis used his pace to good effect and scored in the right hand corner.

Stu West converted to give Rasen a 12-0 lead.

About 25 minutes into the half Rasen allowed Lincoln space and they scored a try to reduce the deficit.

Ten minutes later Paul File made a storming long run up the right hand touchline and scored in the corner.

Fortunately for Lincoln, Market Rasen’s honesty ruled out the score when it was pointed out by a player that Paul had put his foot in touch.

However, Lincoln’s relief was short lived, as James Larder was then driven over to score in the right hand corner and leave the half time score 17-5 in Rasen’s favour.

Within two minutes of the restart, Harry Wallis again showed his skills by scoring in the left hand corner to make the score 22-5.

Somewhat against the run of play, Lincoln then scored a try to make it 22-10.

Five minutes afterwards Rasen scored the try of the game, when after a bout of good handling Ricky Robinson received the ball on the left wing and then ran at least 40 yards for an outstanding try, which was converted by Paul File. Rasen were now leading 29-10, in full control of the game and heading for a big win.

About midway through the half, Rasen were attacking when Paul File committed the cardinal sin of kicking away good ball when he had supporting players with him.

Lincoln took full advantage of the free gift offered to them and scored a try in the left hand corner, much to the displeasure of skipper James Larder.

The standard of the game then deteriorated as Lincoln took advantage of the referee’s inexperience and Rasen were unable to secure their previous stream of quality possession.

With a few minutes left, Lincoln scored another try, which was converted, to leave the final score 29-22 in Rasen’s favour.

Happily this was a “six pointer” in the Lincolnshire Merit League, strengthening Rasen’s position near the top of the table.

Rasen & Louth Team

Green, Timmins, Kearton, Chambers, Palmer, Larder, Thompson, Waters, Neesham, West, Redmond, Wallis, Woolley, Pile, Day, Robinson, Fisher, Berger.