Rasen still looking for autumnal win

Leigh Dearden pushes for Market Rasen against Bedford Athletic
Leigh Dearden pushes for Market Rasen against Bedford Athletic

Rasen couldn’t shake off their unwanted penchant for conceding an early score as Bedford Athletic crossed the line in the sixth minute.

A quick tap by scrumhalf Mike Starling from the wrong spot cost Rasen possession as Bedford were awarded a scrum and quickly moved the ball to their dangerous backline.

Fullback Ben Johnson burst through the midfield defence and despite a brave attempt from his opposite number Karl Ward, momentum carried him over the whitewash to leave flyhalf James Mortimer with a simple conversion.

Rasen responded positively and were soon back in Bedford territory with a penalty kick to touch. The catch and drive moved closer to the line before the backs were brought into play with winger Nick Harvey cutting an inside line and offloading for centre Matt Sutton to crash over.

Meehal Grint slotted the conversion.

The pendulum swung back to Bedford as they took control to score five converted tries as their astute use of the ball mesmerized the visiting defence.

After facing such a whirlwind of attacks, Rasen took heart as Bedford conceded a series of penalties in their own twenty-two allowing the red and greens to finish the half strongly.

A quick tap from Grint resulted in a score for the vociferous flyhalf and put some much needed belief back into the visitors as the half closed.

Rasen then turned the game on its head and became the dominant force throughout the third quarter. In the opening stages they became encamped close to the Bedford line as the referee repeatedly penalised the home front row and Rasen continued to opt for the scrummage.

Surprisingly it wasn’t this string of similar offences that elicited a penalty try, but a further infringement at a driving maul compelled the official to signal the score from under the posts. Sutton added the conversion. Grint then stole in at the corner to secure a try bonus point.

Sadly throwing caution to the wind and pushing forward saw Bedford free to run in two further tries and seal the game.