Gary Johnson celebrates Isle of Man TT win before being airlifted to hospital

Gary Jonhson celebrates his TT win. Pic credit Baylon McCaughey EMN-140406-162446001
Gary Jonhson celebrates his TT win. Pic credit Baylon McCaughey EMN-140406-162446001

Gary Johnson rode to a fine win in the Monster Energy Supersport race at the Isle of Man TT Festival on Tuesday but then crashed out of the RL360 Superstock race on Wednesday and was airlifted to Nobles hospital.

Although suffering some broken bones Johnson, from Broughton near Brigg, is expected to make a full and speedy recovery.

Prior to the crash the Supersport race on Monday had been the highlight of Gary’s week as he had topped the leaderboard throughout practice on the Smith’s Triumph Daytona 675R and once the race got underway he took the lead at Glen Helen on the opening lap.

But for the remainder of the four laps; it was nip and tuck all the way round the 37.73-mile Mountain Course as Kiwi Bruce Anstey ensured the race would go right down to the wire.

At the end of lap two the riders came into the pits for their fuel stop and with the fastest lap of the race at 126.732mph, Gary had opened up a 2.4 second lead.

However, the lead constantly fluctuated for the second half of the race with Gary able to extend his lead through sections of the course where he was stronger, only for Anstey to reel him back in on his more favoured sections.

Going into the final lap, Johnson’s advantage was 2.6 seconds and this had almost doubled at Glen Helen, nine miles into the lap.

However, Anstey was charging and despite rain falling on the Mountain he continued to reduce the deficit. With less than two miles to go the gap was 0.011 seconds but Gary flew over the final section and took the chequered flag by 1.5 seconds to take his second TT win.

He said: “I think this victory means more to me than the first and the Smiths Triumph team has worked so hard.

“With the Metzeler tyres as well, we had a race-winning combination and having been strong in practice, we were able to do the same in the race and convert it all into the race win.

“It was tricky over the Mountain with the wet roads and I didn’t gel with the conditions up there but I went hard on the lower part of the course and we got the job done.

“Full credit to the team, John Trigger gave us some great engines and the bike never missed a beat so I’m delighted.”

But it was a different story on Tuesday in the Superstock event where Gary was riding the Lincs Lifting Kawasaki.

He was running in second place at the Ramsey checkpoint on the first lap and looking good for a podium if not the win.

But it all went wrong at Ramsey Hairpin just a few seconds later when he crashed. Although conscious he was reported as having fractures and was airlifted to Nobles hospital for further assessment.

Gary explained the extent of his injuries: “I have a few broken bones in my left hand, my right collar bone is quite bad and the scapular bone fairly bad plus four fractured vertebrae so not too bad really.”

This accident heralds the end of Gary’s TT for this year but he goes home in the knowledge he has won the Supersport race for the second time, the first being in 2012.