Gary celebrates his first TT victory

Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson
Share this article

Gary Johnson achieved his first Isle of Man TT Race victory when he clinched the second Monster Energy Supersport race on Thursday afternoon winning by 8.4s from fellow Honda rider John McGuinness.

Johnson was in control throughout the race, leading from start to finish. He was already three seconds clear of McGuinness by the first checkpoint at Glen Helen on the opening lap, a lead he’d amazingly trebled by the time the riders swept through Ramsey Hairpin.

An opening lap of 125.587mph gave Johnson the lead though and the Lincolnshire rider had a gap of almost ten seconds, but the battle for second was extremely close, with McGuinness, Martin, Donald, Bruce Anstey and Dan Kneen separated by just six seconds.

Johnson continued to extend his lead and he went quicker still on his second circuit of the Mountain Course, a lap of 125.892mph putting him 15 seconds clear of McGuinness, an almost unprecedented margin in the Supersport class.

Going into the final lap and Johnson maintained an 11 second advantage over Donald, who was nibbling away at Johnson’s lead throughout the lap, but his Honda expired at Signpost, less than two miles from home, leaving Johnson in the clear to take the victory from 16 times TT winner John McGuinness with Guy Martin finishing in third place.

Johnson was quick to reveal the team orders that had helped him climb to the top of the podium at long last: “I was just told to go and get on the bike and ride it like you stole it from your dad – that’s what I did and it worked out perfectly.

“It feels great to be a winner at last and it’s a dream come true – hopefully they come along like London buses now and I can be challenging again in the Senior today.”

But it wasn’t to be as Gary ended the six lap Senior TT in seventh position.

It has been a good week for Gary who is bringing home four TT Silver Replicas for his results, third in the first Superbike race, fourth in the first Supersport race, first in the second Supersport race and seventh in the Senior TT.

He was unfortunate not the complete the Superstock race as, when lying in fourth place, he was forced to retire after running out of fuel on the second of four laps.

It’s back to domestic action now and Gary will head north of the border to Knockhill for round five of the British Supersport Championship that takes place at the weekend (June 17-19).