Under-eights miss out twice against Sleaford

MARKET Rasen Football Club’s under-eights had a very busy weekend playing Sleaford twice and suffering the same result both times.

On Saturday they travelled south to face Sleaford away. The home side started strongly and scored after three minutes.

Rasen started to get back into the game and had some good chances. Sleaford finished the half in control though and forced several corners from which they scored their second goal just before the break.

After a good team talk at the break, Rasen came out strongly. Davey Wallace’s throw was reached by debutant Callum Dean who passed the ball to Samuel Earl and he scored a good goal with a superb lob over the Keeper.

Rasen had some good chances to equalise, but half way through the second half Sleaford scored their third goal on a breakaway despite a good save initially from Finley Boyes.

With five minutes left, Ben Flear took the ball off a defender, ran 15-yards with the ball and placed a lovely shot into the bottom corner.

Despite late pressure, Rasen just could not find an equaliser. It finished 3-2 in favour of Sleaford.

This was a good performance from the whole team with great games from Samuel Earl, Ben Flear and man of the match, Callum Dean.

The following day Rasen hosted Sleaford on their own ground, but the result was the same.

The game started with some good attacking play from both sides with good saves from both keepers. After five minutes Callum Dean had a good shot which the keeper saved, but rebounded out with Callum following it up to put Rasen ahead.

Greg Watson had a good chance soon after which was well saved. The game was very even up to half time.

The second half again started with end to end football, but a good Greg Watson goal put Rasen 2-0 up.

Sleaford soon pulled one goal back and half way through the second half equalised.

The game was very even with both teams creating chances, Watson, Dean and Flear going close for Rasen.

In the last minute, Sleaford were awarded a penalty, which Finley Boyes got his hands to, but could not keep out.

Oliver Adlam was Rasen’s man of the match.

Team: Oliver Adlam, Finley Boyes, Callum Dean, Samuel Earl, Benjamin Flear, Joseph Frisby, Toby Ross, Davey Wallace, Greg Watson.