Skeg complete the double at Rase Park

Market Rasen 0-3 Skegness Town

SKEGNESS Town came to Rase Park looking to do the first double of the season over the Lincs League newcomers Market Rasen.

With Rasen welcoming back Jake Wade to the back four and Drew Norburn back to the bench after illness, the home side went into the game with high hopes.

Unfortunately for Rasen a lack of concentration enabled the wily Orrey to open the scoring on the five minute mark.

Rasen then settled down and provided most of the attacking action, getting back to the slick passing and movement that had been lacking from the previous weeks.

James Bennett back in his familiar role in midfield with Joe Osbourne dominated the midfield, breaking up the oppositions attacks to feed the marauding Jason Hall and Matt Rutherford down the right flanks.

A succession of corners troubled the Skegness keeper, providing a smart save from a Bennett header. Further Rasen pressure saw the home striker Nathan Smith strike the post midway through the half.

Smith will also be disappointed not to have hit the target with two other efforts before a rare attack from the visitors increased their lead when Orrey grabbed his second goal after breaking the Rasen offside trap.

Although two goals behind at the break Rasen were still in the game and manager Andy Brumpton would have fancied his side to get something from the second half.

Much like the first half, Rasen continued to dominate and that man Smith again struck the post from the angle of the area after a slide rule ball from the impressive Andy Belt.

With 20 minutes remaining a tangle between Wade and Orrey resulted in Orrey retaliating with what looked like a head butt and possibly worse.

Referee Lamb surprisingly booked both Orrey and the allegedly innocent Wade before awarding a free kick to the away side.

From the resulting kick Orrey grabbed his hat trick, heading in at the far post when really he should have been enjoying an early bath.

In an attempt to get a consolation goal manager Brumpton threw on Guy Smith to left back, pushing Kyle Paul up to join Nathan Smith.

The game ended with further cautions to both sides as the officials struggled to keep control.

Next week Rasen host league strugglers Lincoln United Reserves to Rase Park with a 3pm kick off.