Rasen kept to a draw

Market Rasen 1 Boston United Reserves 1

BOSTON United Reserves were the latest visitors to Rase Park in the much anticipated Lincolnshire League clash.

Injuries, suspension and unavailability again forced manager Andy Brumpton into changing the starting eleven.

On the other hand, Boston lined up with numerous players having featured for their 1st team this season, so Rasen were fully aware of the threat that would come their way.

In the early stages of the game, Boston looked to exert pressure on the reshuffled Rasen defence, but full backs Lowman and Guy Smith looked comfortable when dealing with any pressure.

With 15 minutes of the game gone, neither side had created any real chances until Nathan Smith flicked on a long ball and found the path of the on-rushing Jason Hall who celebrated his birthday by lofting the ball over the Boston keeper from 20 yards to give Rasen the lead.

The goal seemed to invigorate the Rasen midfield, with Scott Coupland in particular enjoying his finest game in a yellow shirt.

However, following an off the ball incident, Greenbeck lost his cool and struck an opposing player leaving the referee no choice but to issue a red card to the usually influential skipper, who will be very disappointed with his actions. This left Rasen to fight out the remaining 60 minutes of the game with 10 men and they did so in style.

Scott Lowman was moved into the centre of defence to partner Jake Wade and this partnership was to be the corner stone to an amazing rearguard action.

Despite being put under pressure for long periods of the second half, Rasen were still able to create a couple of decent chances, none more so than Andy Belt who headed the ball goalwards only to see his effort saved by the Boston keeper.

The face of the game could have changed when a nasty high challenge on Coupland was somehow only punished with a yellow card.

Wave after wave of Boston attacks were thwarted by the impressive Rasen defence and, with the whole midfield of Coupland, Belt, Osbourne and Hall working overtime, Boston never really had any clear-cut goal scoring opportunities.

Unfortunately, Rasen’s heroic attempts to hold out for a win were undone with the last kick of the game.

In a desperate attempt to equalise, the Boston keeper came forward for a late corner kick and it was his flick which fell to the edge of the box. The strike on goal was scuffed by the Boston midfielder, but his effort somehow managed to find its way past a host of players and creep over the line.

At the start of the game Rasen would possibly have accepted a draw, but with each and every player putting everything they had into the game, they will be disappointed at the final score and left to wonder what might have been had they played the whole goal with 11 men.

This Wednesday sees Rasen make the short trip to Horncastle Town, kick-off 7.45pm, followed by a trip to Hykeham Town on Saturday, March 24, kick off 3pm.