Last minute goal leads to Brigg heartbreak

King’s Lynn 3–2 Brigg Town FC

BRIGG were very unlucky to come away from King’s Lynn without a point to show from a game in which the important decisions went against them.

The Linnets started strongly and looked dangerous down the left wing, but Brigg settled down to pass the ball about well and took the lead in the ninth minute after central defender Jason Lee and goalkeeper Alex Street had a complete misunderstanding with a ball played through the middle of the pitch, leaving Adam Lee the simple task of running it into an open net.

Clearly encouraged by this, Brigg looked dangerous on the break with Liam Davis always a threat with his pace against the home defenders. Unfortunately, Alan Lamb had to be substituted in the 23rd minute after sustaining a knee injury, which needed lengthy treatment, and the team had to be re-organised with Craig Morley introduced.

Brigg scored a second goal five minutes later when Davis took possession outside the penalty area on the left and struck a great shot into the corner of the net from 25–yards out.

Brigg looked comfortable with their lead and capable of more goals, but a rash challenge by Anthony Bowsley on the edge of the area five minutes from half time resulted in a penalty kick, which was well converted to send the Linnets in at the break trailing by a single goal.

In the second half, the home team put the Brigg defence under more pressure, using high balls played into the penalty area.

Miles Fenty produced an outstanding reflex save to tip the ball over the bar from a corner kick and then the next shot at goal was headed against the cross bar before being cleared.

The scores were levelled after 66 minutes of play with a harsh decision going against Brigg. The ball was played down the middle of the pitch and scooped forward with a handling offence. Despite valid protests, the goal was allowed to stand.

Then in the last minute of the game, the home team were awarded a second penalty kick by the same assistant referee after Scott Hellewell was penalised for a handling offence when the ball was kicked into the back of him whilst retreating into the penalty area.

King’s Lynn scored from the penalty spot to give the home team all three points and leave the Brigg team bitterly disappointed.