Improving Zebras start to climb table

Share this article

Brigg Town FC continued their improved form with a 2-0 away win at Mickleover Sports.

With Miles Fenty unavailable for this away fixture, Ryan Musselwhite was in goal and Mark Dudley replaced the injured Josh Freeman in the back four.

After just two minutes, Brigg missed a golden opportunity to score when Alex Flett got to the goal line on the left and delivered the ball across the face of the goal, but Adam Lee scooped it over the bar from four yards out.

Then Liam Davis had another shot saved, after a free kick was awarded for a foul on Adam Lee outside the penalty area. Brigg’s early pressure told and they took the lead with a well worked move after eight minutes.

Ryan Paczkowski won the ball from a throw-in deep into the home team half and progressed into the penalty area, before passing it on further for Liam Davis to find the corner of the net from 12 yards out.

Mickleover responded immediately and a misunderstanding in the middle of the Brigg defence created an opening, but the striker shot wide of the goal.

Brigg increased their lead after half an hour of play, when Adam Lee held the ball up on the right wing before slipping it back to Ryan Paczkowski, who then set up the chance for Liam Dickens to find the corner of the net from ten yards out past the diving Chris Whiteley.

Five minutes later, Alex Flett struck a firm free kick on target from the left wing, but the home keeper made the necessary save.

In the last minute of the half, Chas Fisher was badly injured after a great saving tackle on Karl Ashton at the edge of the Brigg penalty area and he had to be substituted by Scott Hellewell.

After being the better side for most of the first half, Brigg were subjected to more pressure by Mickleover in the second and Scott Hellewell had to clear off the goal line from an in-swinging left wing corner kick.

At the other end, Ryan Paczkowski went close with a shot just over the bar and had another effort saved.

Brigg continued to cause their own problems by giving the ball away too easily, but the defenders played well to limit the home team’s chances of getting back into the game.

The three points gained lifts the team into the top half of the table, but they now face a difficult away game at Sheffield F.C. on Saturday afternoon. Their next home game is against Leek Town on Tuesday, October 30.