FOOTBALL: Single hard fought point from six for Brigg FC


Brigg Town FC returned from a long midweek trip to Loughborough Dynamo with a point from a hard fought 0-0 draw.

The pitch was declared fit after an afternoon inspection, but heavy rain continued to fall throughout the game.

Dynamo made the first attack striking a shot wide of the upright, but Brigg responded with a freekick awarded for a foul on Elliott Broughton, which Alan Lamb played deep into the penalty area before it was cleared.

Rob Zand then held on to a long free kick. Dynamo struck a powerful freekick against the crossbar again and then there was a scramble in the Brigg goal before the ball was cleared after Rob Zand saved well.

The first half closed with Jordan Thewlis again running at the home defenders, but he was blocked in the penalty area.

Brigg continued to look dangerous on the counter attack in the second half, but neither side managed to break the stalemate to push for a winning goal in poor weather conditions, though chances were created at both ends of the pitch.

It would have been unfair for either of the teams to have scored a late winning goal after they had put so much effort into an entertaining game.

Paul Grimes returned to the starting line-up for the Saturday game against second placed and leading league scorers, Coalville Town.

Brigg were looking to extend their recent unbeaten run of seven games, but it was not to be as they went down 2-0.

The kick-off was delayed for 30 minutes after the visitors had been held up on the motorway.

Coalville took the lead after 37 minutes when a long through ball was picked up outside the penalty area for their forward to run on to and score.

Brigg’s immediate response saw a free kick from Paul Grimes go over the crossbar at the other end of the pitch.

The second half saw Coalville score their second goal. It came from a harshly awarded freekick close to the centre circle but played out to the right wing and crossed back into the penalty area to be hit home.

The visitors were comfortable with their two goal lead and although Paul Grimes had another strike wide of the goal, they saw the game out and proved to be worthy winners of the three points.

Brigg now have to bounce back from this defeat for their long trip this Saturday in the second Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy against Redditch United.