FOOTBALL: ‘More hard work needed’ after disappointing result for Market Rasen

Market Rasen Town FC 1 – 3 Sleaford Town Reserves

Following last week’s disappointing performance Rasen went into their latest fixture against Sleaford Town Reserves knowing they had to improve if they were to find a positive result.

With Kyle Paul unavailable, Jason Hall partnered Adam Brumpton up front with the hope of utilising their pace and exploit any gaps created behind the visitors defence.

Early in the game Rasen were the better of the two teams and controlled the tempo of the play, having the lions share of possession.

Within the first five minutes the first chance fell to Brumpton following good work down the right wing, but his effort rebounded off the post to safety.

This set the tone as Rasen continued to put pressure on the Sleaford goal, but astute defending meant that clear cut chances on goal were not to be for Rasen.

With Matt Rutherford continuing to deliver into the penalty box it was surely a matter of when, not if, Rasen took the lead, and so it proved when Bennett met a deep cross at the far post with a rasping volley past the keeper.

With Bennett and captain Joe Osbourne controlling the game and working hard up and down the pitch it looked like Rasen would extend their lead going into the final 15 minutes of the first half, but a combination of poor passing and complacency let Sleaford back into the game and, but for sound covering from Scott Lowman and Jake Wade, Sleaford could well have brought themselves back into the game.

In the closing minutes of the half Rutherford found himself under extreme pressure and his attempted clearance was deflected into the path of Edwards, who made no mistake in blasting the ball home to bring Sleaford level on the stroke of half time.

Having controlled the first 30 minutes of the game, Town were hopeful that they could react to the equalising goal, but a poor second half performance was to follow with too many players failing to live up to their usual standards of play.

With Rasen on the attack Hall was bearing down on goal, but a useful block by the Sleaford defence was cleared up field and with a slice of luck Edwards was again clear through on goal,

Lowman had managed to recover and block the initial attempt, but the rebound fell to strike partner Ellis, who slid the ball into the empty net.

From this moment Rasen failed to switch back on, never looked like getting back into the game, and so this was proved when things got worse for the home team.

Another breakaway through the defence saw Christie rush off his line, but missed the ball and following a blatant offside, which was not given by the assistant referee, Edwards slotted home to put his team 3-1 ahead.

This was not the end of the passage of play as Christie received his marching orders after being shown his second yellow card of the game.

After the disappointing defeat Town’s captain Osbourne said: “It was a really poor result and second half performance.

“The only way we are going to pick up points is by sheer hard work and sticking together and that’s what we’ve got to get a lot better at looking ahead to the run of cup games coming up.”

This result moves Rasen back below Sleaford, but with games in hand on the teams above them in the league Rasen will be hopeful that they can pull themselves away from the bottom three in the league.

Next week sees Rasen at home with the visitors being Nettleham FC, 2pm kick off.