FOOTBALL: Last gasp Fulstow strike steals full points from dominant Casitor Tennyson


Caistor Tennyson 2-2 Fulstow FC

Caistor entertained Fulstow FC at Caistor Sports Ground at the weekend in the East Lincolnshire Combination Division 2.

The game finished with honours even, but Tennyson totally dominated the second half and felt frustrated that they did not take maximum points from the encounter.

The first half was a drab affair with little for the small crowd to enthuse about. Tennyson started slowly and for 10 minutes the visitors were the better of the two sides.

Then Tennyson took over, but as is so often the case it was the visitors who took the lead from nowhere with a breakaway goal after a sustained spell of Tennyson domination.

It was all so frustrating for the home side at this point. Give credit to the visitors though who put together a good move in the build up, though an offside flag did go up from the linesman, but the referee decided to let play continue.

Play from both sides was very disjointed in what in truth was a poor first half.

Towards half time Tennyson really did dominate with a string of chances falling to the home side. Good first half chances for Tennyson fell to Luke Clifford and Andy Belt who could not take advantage under pressure.

After the interval and a small change in formation, Tennyson picked their game up and started knocking the ball about well in midfield. It was debutante Rick Day who netted, flicking on a speculative free kick played into the Fulstow goalmouth.

It got better when a goal bound shot from Tennyson hit a hand in the Fulstow box. The referee pointed to the spot and Andy Belt confidently put away the penalty to put his side 2-1 up.

Then Luke Clifford ran through but slid his shot agonisingly wide of the ‘keeper.

The game looked safe at this point, but late frustration came when at the death the visitors equalised to make the final score 2-2 and drop Tennyson to third in the table.

This Saturday Tennyson have an away cup encounter with Louth AFC.