FOOTBALL: Injury time own goal hands Brigg the points

Brigg Town FC had a hard fought 3-2 win at home against Leek on Saturday.

Leek started strongly and were a goal up within a minute. The ball was played down the right wing and when the cross was knocked into the goal area, Scott Hellewell and Miles Fenty failed to clear.

Brigg’s first attack saw Paul Grimes meeting a left wing cross to get a shot at goal, but the Leek keeper saved comfortably.

Leek continued to dominate the early part of the game. Brigg gradually got into the contest and Bruno Holden headed over the bar from Liam Davis’ cross and then the same player drove a free kick into the defensive wall.

The first half closed with the visitors winning two corner kicks on the left, but these were well defended limiting them to a single goal lead at half time.

Brigg were back on level terms two minutes into the second half. A poor attempted clearance by the Leek goalkeeper fell to Liam Davis on the edge of the penalty area. The defender tripped him from behind to concede a penalty kick, which Danny Buttle drove into the corner of the net. Five minutes later, Brigg took the lead when Bruno Holden chased a long forward pass to get a toe on it and direct it into the corner of the net from 15-yards out.

Leek had strong appeals for a penalty kick for hand ball rejected, but then were awarded a spot kick ten minutes from time when Miles Fenty caught the striker on the edge of his area as the striker struck a shot wide of the upright. Leek scored from the spot with a firm shot into the corner of the net.

The last ten minutes saw both teams going all out for a winner with tension evident in both penalty areas. As the game moved into time added on, Brigg were awarded a free kick close to the half way line and the quick thinking Liam Dickens drove the ball forward into the Leek penalty area, where a deflection led to an own goal and all three points for the home team

The three points gained takes Brigg up into eighth place in the league but they now have two very difficult away games, starting at Chasetown on Saturday followed by their visit to League leaders Coalville Town the week after.