FOOTBALL: Brigg succumb to Sheffield, but only after extra time

Brigg Town FC 3-5 Sheffield FC (AET)

Brigg Town FC faced Sheffield FC in the Second Round of the Doodson Sports Cup and the game was only decided after extra time.

Sam Downey was introduced into the Brigg starting line-up with Miles Fenty and Liam Dickens also recalled.

The visitors made the first telling attack with a right wing move and followed with quick move down the left, which resulted in the ball played across the area for the opening strike at goal.

The first goal was scored after 17 minutes when Brigg’s Mark Dudley turned a harmless looking left wing cross into his own goal.

Ryan Paczkowski was winning most of the high balls played into the Sheffield half of the field and as Brigg began to get more of the ball, he set up a chance for Sam Downey and then had goalkeeper Liam Flynn saving low down.

Brigg’s increasing pressure resulted in an equalising goal after 35–minutes and it came after Scott Hellewell sent Liam Davies clear on the right wing, before the latter cut inside to beat the visiting keeper with a 20–yard drive into the bottom corner of the net.

With the score-line level at half time, Brigg started the second half well, taking the lead a minute after the re-start.

Danny Buttle hit a firm shot into the back of the net from Liam Davis’ right wing cross, but Sheffield were back level on the hour mark.

Liam Dickens set up a decent chance for Sam Downey to restore the lead, but the Sheffield FC goalkeeper smothered his shot low down. Then Scott Hellewell headed over the bar from Josh Davies’ left wing corner kick, while at the other end, Miles Fenty saved well.

Brigg had a chance to win the game inside 90 minutes when Paul Grimes was pulled back inside the penalty area with no penalty given.

The game went into extra time and Sheffield regained the lead after 95 minutes. Brigg responded quickly and were back level inside five minutes when Paul Grimes slipped the ball home after more good approach play by Liam Dickens.

Paul Grimes was then pulled back again inside the penalty area when clear, but the referee waved play-on.

As the game went into the second period of extra time, both teams began to look weary on the heavy pith, but Sheffield were gifted another goal when Miles Fenty’s mistake left a simple tap in and then with almost the last kick of the game the fifth goal sealed Brigg’s fate.