FOOTBALL: Brigg held to a draw by Kings Lynn

Brigg 1-1 Kings Lynn

Kings Lynn Town made their first ever journey to Brigg for their Boxing Day league fixture, looking to repeat their victory at home against the same team earlier in the season.

The home team were the first to attack when Alex Flett’s free kick from the half way line wasn’t properly cleared and the ball was played forward again for Paul Grimes to get a shot at goal - comfortably saved.

When Lynn began to settle, a quick counter attack down the right wing ended with an off-side decision.

The first clear cut chance fell for Brigg’s Greg Archer, who got forward to take a neat lay off by Paul Grimes, but his shot was saved again.

However, the home team took the lead after 17 minutes following another long free kick by Alex Flett. The ball was floated to the far post and Scott Hellewell met it with a header across the goal area for Grimes to knock it into the back of the net from close range.

Lynn responded by winning a free kick outside the Brigg penalty area for a foul by Scott Hellewell.

However the free kick across the face of the goal was too long and went out at the opposite side of the pitch. Continuing to put pressure on the Brigg defenders, Lynn threatened again down the right wing, but the final ball carried too much pace and went across the face of the goal and out of play again.

With a minute remaining in the first half, Brigg created another good opening to increase their lead when Paul Grimes won the ball close to the right corner flag and worked it across the penalty area for Liam Dickens, who got underneath it and struck his shot over the bar.

Lynn rallied after half time and began to get more possession in midfield to push Brigg back in defence.

However, the home team continued to look lively with sharp counter-attacking moves and Danny Buttle was able to deliver good penetrating crosses in from the left wing.

Then, mid way though the second half, Lynn were reduced to 10 men when a red card was shown for a strong challenge on Ryan Paczkowski.

The team showed great spirit to keep pushing forward though and were rewarded with an equalising goal after 72 minutes.

The game could have gone either way in the closing stages, with Brigg going closest to winning it in the last minute after Liam Davis did well to get a cross into the penalty area for Paul Grimes to send a firm header inches past the upright with Danny Gay looking on.