Brigg thrashed in FA Trophy humiliation

Witton Albion 6

Brigg Town 1

Brigg suffered a totally humiliating defeat away from home at Witton Albion in the first round of the F.A. Trophy competition.

There was no suggestion at half time that the game could end with such domination by the home team.

Witton attacked down the right wing in the first minute and when the ball was played into the penalty area the shot went narrowly over the bar.

Brigg responded with a right wing corner kick headed across the face of the goal.

The first goal was scored by Witton after 27 minutes, when a fierce drive shot past Tom Woodhead.

Brigg were just the single goal behind at half time.

Bruno Holden and Tom Lee came on for the second half as substitutes for Joe Lamplough and Joe Clement, but within two minutes Brigg found themselves two goals down.

Phil Jackman pulled a goal back for Brigg after 58 minutes, finding the top corner of the net after receiving the ball at his feet from Liam Davis 12 yards out.

However, the home team went on full of confidence to add three further goals and were in complete control, missing out on further chances created with Tom Woodhead called upon to make more saves.

Brigg Town 3 Farsley FC 0

Brigg produced one of their best performances of the season to date in front of a small crowd to progress to the third round of the Doodson Sports Cup competition.

Bruno Holden, Mike Smith and Alan Lamb were still unavailable but Liam Dickens returned up front.

They were soon on the offensive, with Liam Davis taking a pass down the left wing from Joe Lamplough to fire a shot across the face of the goal, which was tipped away for a corner kick by Farsley’s keeper.

Then Liam Davis was tripped from behind outside the penalty area, but the free kick was well defended.

Phil Jackman was having an outstanding game as target man for the home team and went close to opening the score when he flicked another cross from the left wing towards the goal, but the ball was blocked on the line.

Brigg continued to lay siege to the Farsley goal and won three successive corner kicks.

Finally, Brigg took the lead after an hour’s play, when Joe Lamplough passed the ball forward into the penalty area for Liam Davis to take possession before knocking it past Tom Taylor.

Brigg went on to score a second goal after 72 minutes, when Liam Dickens finished off good build up work from Phil Jackman and Liam Davis by knocking the ball into the bottom of the net from the latter’s left wing cross.

Brigg completed their splendid night’s work with a third goal following a left wing corner kick from Joe Lamplough, which was headed on before Matt Plant forced the ball into the back of the net from a short distance out five minutes from time.