Brigg lose after dominating the first half

Brigg Town 1 Belper Town 2

BRIGG settled quickly and made promising moves down the right wing with Liam Davis an early threat to the Belper defence.

The first goal was scored after just seven minutes of play and came from a neat movement, with Davis taking a return pass inside the penalty area before firing the ball into the bottom of the net.

When the visitors attacked, they were awarded a free kick out on the right wing, but the ball was aimed at the far post and drifted into touch.

When Brigg attacked Alex Flett pushed forward and fed the ball down the line for Liam Davis to send it into the goal area, but Bruno Holden’s strike was blocked and deflected for a left wing corner kick.

At this stage Brigg were enjoying most of the possession. From Tom Woodhead’s long goal kick down the middle of the pitch, Phil Jackman headed on to Bruno Holden, but his shot went narrowly past the top corner of the goal from 20–yards out.

Liam Davis and Bruno Holden combined well again on the Brigg right wing before the ball was crossed to Phil Jackman, who curled another shot just past the post.

There was a growing feeling that Brigg would regret missing out on their opportunities and this became a reality five minutes from half time when Belper equalised.

Slack marking from a throw in on the right allowed the ball to be crossed to the far side of the penalty area where Belper had time and space to smash the ball into the top corner of the net from 15–yards out.

Brigg reacted immediately, but Liam Davis was blocked on the edge of the penalty area and Joe Lamplough’s free kick was blasted over the bar from a tight angle.

The second half was much different with Belper dictating the pattern of play throughout and closing down the Brigg attacks quicker.

Belper took the lead after an hour’s play after a break down the right and then looked comfortable with their slender lead.

Brigg were a little unlucky not to get back on level terms when a shot from Phil Jackman from the edge of a crowded penalty area struck the top corner of the goal posts and bounced back to safety.

Belper won all three points and Brigg regretted their missed opportunities from their bright play of the first half.

On Saturday Brigg have a trip to Witton Albion in Cheshire in the First Round of the FA Trophy.