A mixed start to life in a higher league for Town

Market Rasen are enjoying a mixed start to the new campaign, having left the Lincoln League at the end of last season to join the higher standard of the Lincolnshire League.

They entertained Lincoln Moorlands Railway at Rase Park on a very gloomy evening and let a 2-0 lead slip to draw 2-2.

Then on Saturday they went down at Skegness. It leaves them just below halfway in the early season league table.

Market Rasen Town 2-2 Lincoln Moorlands Railway

After a mixed start to the new Lincolnshire League campaign, Market Rasen were looking for maximum spoils last Wednesday as they entertained Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

A combination of suspensions and unavailability meant Manager Andy Brumpton was forced into action along with youngster Kyle Paul in an unfamiliar left back role.

Opening exchanges were even, with Moorlands matching Rasen’s fast moving passing game, but it was Rasen who drew first blood when the home side’s lively front runner Nathan Smith twisted the visiting defence inside out before passing neatly to strike partner Ian Williams who slotted home from eight yards for his third goal in four games.

Rasen doubled their lead on the half hour when Andy Belt teed up acting skipper Matt Rutherford, who blasted into the top corner from a full 30 yards out for an early contender for goal of the season.

Lapses in concentration in the opening ten minutes of the second half however allowed Moorlands to reply with two swift goals, one from the dangerous Nicholson who was returning to Rasen after his switch to the visitors in the close season.

Both sides had opportunities to gain maximum spoils in a pulsating second half, with Will Bradford in the Rasen goal keeping the visitors at bay on more than one occasion.

Rasen’s final push found Jason Hall bringing a fine save from the Moorlands keeper to keep the honours even.

Skegness Town 4-1 Market Rasen Town

Further unavailability gave Lincs League debuts to Josh Colgan, Kal Mattu and Aaron Ford for the first of two trips to the seaside.

Again Rasen were undone by lack of concentration when the home side went two goals up in the opening 15 minutes.

Rasen gradually picked themselves up and enjoyed good spells of possession, getting their reward when Jason Hall’s persistence forced the home defender into putting the ball into his own net.

Even with the enforced changes to personnel, Rasen went into the break with high hopes for the second period.

Kal Mattu had a chance to level the scores from close range, but somehow lifted the ball over the bar.

That proved to be Rasen’s last chance as the home side scored two further goals and Rasen ran out of steam in their attempts to get something from the game.

With no fixture for the next two weeks, Rasen have the chance to get valuable players back from before a tricky League Cup fixture at league leaders and current champions Boston United reserves on September 17.

It is hoped that the club will run a bus to the game. For further information ring Rase Park on 01673 842171.