CRICKET: High scores all round but Cleethorpes prove too strong for Owmby

Share this article

Both Owmby Cricket Club team’s were away this week in their respected leagues as the Saturday team played Cleethorpes 2nd’s and the Sunday team travelled to Heighington.

On Saturday, on what proved to be a batting paradise as the pitch was hard and the ball came onto the bat well, Owmby fielded first.

Cleethorpes got off to the best possible start as Owmby’s opening bowlers struggled to find any rhythm. Despite a stunning catch by Joe Atkin off the bowling of Dave Hill, Cleethorpes were already on 63-1 after 10 overs.

With such a great start Cleethorpes continued to score freely and were 118-3 at drinks. Briefly after drinks Owmby restricted the run rate, but once Pat Hughes reached his half century backed up by Andy Haith, Cleethorpes began to attack. Cleethorpes finished on 270-6, Hughes made 78 and Haith 61.

In reply Owmby started hesitantly and struggled to score as freely in the opening overs as their opponents did.

However, when Dave Hill joined Joe Atkin at the crease the run rate increased. By drinks Owmby were 95-2 and looking like posting a respectable score.

After drinks Sam Atkin backed up by his brother Joe continued positively. When Joe Atkin went for 45, brother Sam pressed on and reached his first 50 of the season.

A good partnership of 69 from Sam Atkin and Dan Hill helped the visitors reach a decent score as Owmby finished 207-7 inside 45 overs, just not enough to trouble a strong Cleethorpes side.

On Sunday, Owmby, looking to respond from last week’s defeat, decided to field first against Heighington.

After some tight bowling from Owmby’s two openers they could have had the home side struggling but for some crucial catches being put down.

Once skipper Dan Hill introduced himself in to the attack the breakthrough came when Heighington were on 43. Backed up well at the other end by Martyn Snell, Owmby were able to restrict Heighington to 78-2 after 20 overs.

After drinks Omwby controlled the innings as Snell regularly caused problems with figures of 5-45 from 10 overs, leaving Heighington struggling to post a sizeable score.

After taking himself off, skipper Hill returned to take the last wicket and finished with figures of 4-20 from 8.1 overs as Heighington were bowled out for 115.

In response Owmby got off to a slow start as they lost two early wickets. Once debutante Steve Metcalfe and Martyn Snell joined each other at the crease they controlled the game well, putting on 82 for the third wicket which put Owmby on course for victory.

When Metcalfe went for 25 with the score on 100 youngster Josh Duggan joined Snell at the crease and played some flamboyant shots to give Owmby the victory.

Martyn Snell completed a perfect match as he finished 49 not out to go with his five wicket haul earlier on in the match.

Next week the Saturday team travel to Hartsholme in the cup and the Sunday team host Scothern.