Market Rasen Town Council felt that there is a need to write to you regarding the recent letters on elections.
The town council have always followed the prescribed procedure.
1. Immediately upon the declaration of a casual vacancy, the clerk notifies the Election Officer at West Lindsey District Council.
2. Notices are posted within the election area advising of the vacancy and stating the right to have an election called for. Election can properly been called for by ten electors of the election area but within a time framework, as stated on the notices.
3. If no election has been called the vacancy may be filled by co-option.
4. Clerk will post a notice seeking candidates for co-option at each notice board in the election area.
5. The Town/Parish Council must consider co-option to fill the Casual Vacancy at its next meeting, or the following meeting if the next meeting is within 14 days from the date of the notice. .