A former Labour Party press officer who became an expert in terrorism has quit the fight to be UKIP’s General Election candidate for Gainsborough.
Local businessman John Saxon had been expected to be adopted unopposed, but a surprise couple of contestants has led to a ‘hustings’ fight this Saturday.
Howard Thompson, chairman of Gainsborough UKIP, said he thought the local party was ‘home and dry’ in having John Saxon as candidate, but he welcomed the extra candidates throwing their hat into the ring.
Richard Bingley, a university lecturer and author of several books on terrorism, was head of Labour’s East of England and London media operations manager during Tony Blair’s second and third terms as prime minister. He joined Jonathan Noble from Boston, a part-time teacher, until pulling out on Monday.
“Unfortunately I’m having to withdraw from the Gainsborough application due to a couple of additional day-job commitments that were unforeseen a few days ago,” Bingley said.
Now, the two remaining candidates will give a 15-minute speech before a secret ballot of party members. The hustings is at the Viking Centre, Claxby, on January 17 at 2pm.