Distraught: Owner’s plea as dogs are ‘poisoned to death’

Peggy EMN-151124-095627001
Peggy EMN-151124-095627001
  • Rasen pet lover’s warning as dogs Selby and Peggy ‘die from anti-freeze’

A devastated dog owner has issued a warning to pet lovers after her two Jack Russells died in a suspected anti-freeze poisoning.

Gail Barber from Middle Rasen has been left heartbroken after pet dogs Selby and Peggy died in tragic circumstances.

It is believed the dogs ate bread laced with anti-freeze - and now Gail is desperate to make sure other pet owners remain vigilant.

Gail, 53, said: “I’m devastated.

“I feel like I’ve lost one of my children.

“They were my beautiful girls.

“I can’t sleep, I can’t eat.

“I don’t know what it’s going to be like at 
Christmas.

“Before we open any Christmas presents we give the dogs theirs.

“Selby had her own Christmas stocking.

“She knew which one was hers, she’d had it since she was a puppy.

“I’ve already got their Christmas presents.

“It’s going to be very 
hard.

“I’m just so thoroughly upset.”

Gail, who lives in Gallamore Lane, says she discovered a large amount of bread on her land around the time Selby and Peggy became ill.

She says she has reported the incident to Lincolnshire Police.

Gail said: “The dogs became very poorly.

“I took them to the vets and he said they’d got some sort of poisoning.

“The vet can’t determine exactly what but suspected anti-freeze because of how rapidly they 
declined.”

Gail got the dogs when they were just puppies – she had Selby for 11 years and Peggy for five.

Despite being devastated over Selby and Peggy’s deaths, Gail is very concerned about any other pet owners going through a similar 
ordeal.

She said: “I just want people in the area to be 
aware.

“If you see any bread, or anything, pick it up and throw it away because it could be laced with 
something.”

The RSPCA says most people are unaware of the danger to pets from anti-freeze poisoning.

And that ingesting even the smallest amount can cause kidney failure and death, especially in cats.

If you suspect your pet has come into contact with anti-freeze, the RSPCA advises contacting a vet immediately.

Signs of anti-freeze poisoning include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures (fits) and difficulty 
breathing.

At the time of going to press, the RSPCA had not responded to a request for a comment about Selby and Peggy’s deaths.

The Rasen Mail also contacted Lincolnshire Police for a comment about the incident.

At the time of going to press yesterday (Tuesday, November 24), Lincolnshire Police had not responded to our enquiry.