One year behind bars after night-time assault

A drinker who attacked a man, leaving his victim lying unconscious in the road, was jailed for 12 months at Lincoln Crown Court on Friday.

Matthew Boswell punched victim Richard Scuffham to the head before grabbing him by the shoulders and throwing him to the ground.

The incident happened moments after Mr Scuffham left the George pub in Market Rasen at the end of a night out with his brother Steven.

Simon Rowe, prosecuting, told the court that Steven Scuffham had earlier stepped in to break up an altercation between two women.

After that incident Boswell, who misinterpreted what was happening, pursued Steven Scuffham back towards the pub, shouting and being abusive towards him.

Mr Rowe said “At this point the victim came out of the pub. He saw what was going on and went over to his brother.

“It was then that the assault happened. The victim remembers nothing about it at all. He was found unconscious on the floor.”

“A group of men then surrounded the victim. Somehow the defendant ended up unconscious.”

Mr Rowe said the aftermath of the incident was caught on CCTV and the operator contacted police who arrived to find two unconscious men.

Boswell was awoken by friends and taken away from the scene. Richard Scuffham was taken to Lincoln County Hospital, only regaining consciousness after his arrival.

His injuries included two black eyes, a cut to his head and bruising to his cheek. He was badly affected by the incident with both his personal life and his work suffering as a result.

Boswell, 24, of Pelham Road, Claxby, near Market Rasen, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm as a result of the incident in the early hours of November 13 2010.

Recorder Timothy Spencer QC said Steven Scuffham acted “commendably” in intervening in the incident between the two women.

He described Richard Scuffham as “entirely innocent” and said it was inexplicable that he was attacked.

“I simply cannot overlook the serious consequences of this assault. Drink-fuelled violence in public places is absolutely abhorrent to the public.”

Andrew Bailey, defending, said Boswell was heavily in drink and misinterpreted the situation.

“He has expressed genuine remorse and shame for what occurred.

“He is not a useless layabout. He has always worked.

“This offence occurred on the spur of the moment. He was also injured and shortly afterwards found himself unconscious.”