My attack nightmare – pupil overcomes attack ordeal to get GCSEs

Kiah Stenhouse
Kiah Stenhouse

A TEENAGER attacked by a mother and daughter as she left school has spoken about how it was the most frightening moment of her life.

Kiah Stenhouse was attacked by Beryl Mettam, 51, and Alie Mettam, 22, as she headed home from Market Rasen’s De Aston School last September. Almost a year on, the women have been sentenced for common assault.

Kiah – who was 15 at the time and starting her final important GCSE year – was left traumatised and unable to concentrate at school.

“I’ve never been so scared in my life. It didn’t last too long but it felt like forever, when it was happening it felt like everything was going in slow motion,” said Kiah, who lives in The Furlongs, Market Rasen.

She said: “Afterwards I was in complete shock, I couldn’t really speak much. I was crying my eyes out and I was quite hurt. I just wanted to get home and get inside.

“I rang the police as soon as I got away. I went straight home as fast as I could, just to get out of town.

“I never thought this would have happened to me, even when they were coming towards me.”

Before the ordeal Kiah used to be outgoing but is now a very nervous person. She even worries about walking past Market Rasen laundry shop The Ironing Board, where Beryl Mettam works and avoids going out on her own.

“I’m a lot more nervous than I used to be. I go out still, but I always make sure I’m with my boyfriend.

“Because I live in the same area so I can’t go out without thinking I might see them. If I do see them I have flashbacks, it’s horrible. It’s really upsetting and brings it all back.”

Beryl Mettam, of Waterloo Street, Market Rasen and Market Rasen hairdresser Alie Mettam, of Thornton Road, North Owersby, both denied the attack but were found guilty of common assault after a trial at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court.

Alie was given a 30-day curfew and 30-day community order and Beryl got a 60-day curfew and 60-day community order. Kiah received a total of £60 compensation.

“Now that it’s been to court it’s given me a bit of closure. I don’t think the compensation was good enough but I know they’ve got to do some community work because of what they did – that’s good to know.”

Kiah’s mum Claire was at work 35 miles away in Boston when her daughter called to say she had been attacked.

She said: “When I got the call about what had happened I didn’t believe it at first. I had to cancel my appointments and dash home.

“She was still shaking when I got back and just cried every time she talked about it.

“Given everything she’s been through I think £60 compensation is a bit pathetic but the main thing is that they have been found guilty.”

Despite her ordeal Kiah got four distinctions, five B grades and four Cs – and is going to De Aston Sixth Form to study sociology, psychology, history and biology.

She said: “I couldn’t concentrate on my work at school and I took lots of time off. It was such a horrible time.

“I did think it would affect my grades – I had a few exams in November and I just didn’t want to be there. It’s good to get good news and know I’ve achieved something after all of this.”