Mercedes thief is jailed for two years

Share this article

A burglar who was chased by a police helicopter after stealing a car from a secluded farmhouse in Osgodby has been jailed for two years.

Callum Wilson, 27, formerly of Rutland Street, Grimsby, was followed by a helicopter after police were alerted by a tracking device in a Mercedes car.

Lincoln Crown Court heard the vehicle was taken during a classic “Hanoi 
style burglary” in which Wilson gained entry to the house while the occupiers slept and quickly fled with the car keys.

Prosecuting, Phil Howes said Wilson also took a handbag from the lounge before fleeing the house.

He added that Wilson had left behind some jewellery which had been on show at the time.

Mr Howes told the court: “Essentially this was a quick in and out burglary to get the car keys.

“Entry was gained through an unsecured patio door.”

It was not until the following morning that the occupiers realised they had been burgled.

By this time Wilson had changed the number plates on the car.

But a tracking device fitted inside the car allowed police to locate it in the North Cotes area.

Mr Howes added: “The car was tracked by the Humberside Police helicopter from North Cotes to Grainthorpe and Marshchapel where it was chased by a police car.

“When it was eventually stopped Wilson was found to be the driver.”

Police inquiries 
showed that the number plates on the Mercedes car 
had been stolen from a garage in Winterton, near Scunthorpe.

The court heard Wilson had 16 previous convictions for 47 offences, including two other dwelling burglaries and had never passed a driving test.

The court was told he had already spent 131 days in custody.

Wilson admitted two charges of theft, burglary, driving with no insurance and careless driving on March 24 last year.

Passing sentence at Lincoln Crown Court, Recorder David Mason QC warned Wilson another house burglary on his record would lead to a very long sentence.

Recorder Mason told Wilson: “Burgling somebody’s house at night, particularly in a secluded area, is obviously a very serious matter.

“The house was occupied, fortunately they did not realise they were being burgled at the time.

“But they soon realised when they got up the next morning.”

Wilson was jailed for two years.

He was also disqualified from driving for 12 months.