Brigg man pleaded guilty to manslaughter

A Brigg man who admitted killing a teenager during a daylight attack has been sentenced to five years in prison, Hull Crown Court heard.

Richard Winn, 20, of Western Avenue pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of a Grimsby teenager.

Winn, who has to serve five years in a young offender institution, knocked Daniel Cooper unconscious during an argument in Castle Street, Grimsby at 12.30pm on Friday, July 15 last year.

Mr Cooper, 18, suffered a fractured skull and died four days later in Hull Royal Infirmary.

In a statement released to the press, Mr Cooper’s family described him as a “shy quiet lad” who was “very caring” towards his friends and family.

They said he did not deserve to be taken at such a young age.

Mr Cooper’s ambition was to become a mechanic and he loved to go motorbiking, fishing and play football.

The tribute from Mr Cooper’s family said: “When Daniel was growing up, he became very popular with the community and the people around him.

“There were very few that did not know him because his personalilty was kind and caring and he would put his family and friends first.

“He had a lot of ambition and was in the process of looking for a career.

“He was very good at physical things such as mending motorbikes, pushbikes, just mechical stuff really.

“His ambition was to become a mechanic and Daniel loved to go motorbiking, fishing and playing football with the lads.

Mr Cooper had a “very close” and loving relationship with his mum Sue, 36, his brother Jordan, 15, and his younger sister, four-year-old sister Alisha.

The family statement went on to say: “Things will not be the same without him.

“We will all miss him dearly, but will forever keep his memory alive.

“He was a good lad and didn’t deserve to be took at such a young age.

“Forever in our hearts.

“We all love you and we will miss you.

“Rest In Peace.”

Winn had originally pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter charge.

He had been given bail and was due to stand trial at Hull Crown Court in September this year.

The court heard how Winn had changed his plea to guilty during a crown court hearing in August.

Winn was sentenced on Thursday, October 11.