Roy Cochrane, Vicar of Brigg for more than 20 years, gave the best years of his ministerial life to a town and community he grew to love.
His dedication and compassion were among the many qualities remembered at a service of thanksgiving for his life held in Lincoln Cathedral.
Canon Cochrane died in March and friends from Brigg, and also from the wider Lincoln Diocese, attended the thanksgiving service held appropriately where he had been ordained 60 years previously and where for many years in his retirement he had served as a volunteer chaplain.
Canon Cochrane was born in Cleethorpes in March 1925 and educated at St James School in Grimsby.
After service in the RAF in the Second World War, he studied at St Augustine’s College Canterbury and Kings College London.
He was ordained deacon in Lincoln Cathedral in 1954 and then priest in 1955.
He served his first curacy at St Faith’s in Lincoln and then in Skegness.
As vicar, he served several parishes in Mid-Lincolnshire and was also Chaplain to RAF North Coates and the Morton Hall Borstall Institution in that period.
He came to Brigg in 1969, succeeding Canon John Chappell, and remained at St John’s Church until 1989.
He was Rural Dean of Yarborough from 1976 to 1981 and also served as Chaplain to Brigg Town Council and the former Glanford Hospital.
During his time in the town, he was appointed a Canon of Lincoln Cathedral and regularly led pilgrimages to the Holy Land.
In semi-retirement in Lincoln, he served as Chaplain and Warden of St Anne’s Bedehouses and as Chaplain to St Barnabas Hospice.
Dean of Lincoln, The Venerable Christopher Lawrence, a long time friend, gave the address and described Canon Cochrane as a man of great compassion with a gentle sense of humour.
The Very Rev Phillip Buckler, Dean of Lincoln, who led the service said: “Roy Cochrane was a man of wisdom, courtesy and humility who had a long and distinguished ministry in the Diocese of Lincoln.”