Derelict chapel becomes focus of new Caistor Exhibition

The chapel-still standing in the grounds of the old sanatorium.
The chapel-still standing in the grounds of the old sanatorium.

A derelict chapel in Caistor has become the focus of an exhibition by North East Lincolnshire artist Tanya Kennedy.

The old Caistor Sanatorium chapel, sometimes called Caistor Workhouse, now stands in the middle of a building site, but it has captured Tanya’s imagination in recent years.

The sanatorium has now gone, replaced by a housing estate, but the chapel, built in 1865, still stands in the grounds.

The church seated 200 people when it and the sanatorium were in use.

Tanya once visited there, and worked from recollection and recorded images of the haunting derelict premises.

The end product is striking in their reproduction of what she saw and will be of interest to the older generation of local residents who once worked at the sanatorium and attended services in the church.

It was the summer of 1990, 190 years after its inception, that the doors finally closed there and Caistor lost a community, a major employer and the regular sight of residents walking up and down to the town.

The future of the chapel, now looking forgotten and desolate in the middle of the modern development, has been an issue for Caistor Town Council and West Lindsey council in recent years.

The town council declined the offer from developers to purchase it, with a proposed use for it as a community hall.

Its future is now in the hands of the developers and it could be knocked down.

The exhibition ‘Forgotten Places’ opens at Caistor Arts and Heritage Centre on January 30 and runs to February 23.

And there is a chance to meet Tanya Kennedy at 11am this Saturday, February 1, at the Plough Hill venue.

For more details ring 01472 851605.

Visitors coming to view the exhibition from February 1 should ring to check the exhibition room is open.