Rasen run high 
flying Lions close

Ben McCardie, Leigh Dearden and Ollie Cole recycle the ball for Market Rasen
Ben McCardie, Leigh Dearden and Ollie Cole recycle the ball for Market Rasen
Have your say

Rasen ran high flying 
Peterborough Lions close in an enthralling encounter where a little more composure may have seen a home victory.

Peterborough Lions began strongly and kept Rasen pinned in their own half in the early stages.

With 12 minutes gone the Lions were caught offside and punished by scrumhalf Matt Sutton’s accurate kick to open the scoring.

However it was Peterborough Lions who should have scored as centre Max Guseinov split the defence wide open, but spurned a two man overlap in preference for a head on challenge with fullback Meehal Grint. He subsequently limped out of the game and could miss the rest of the season.

Having preserved their line, Rasen then surrendered the initiative. Scrumhalf Laurent Ross took the ball wide to find fullback JC Sagoe joining the line, but the Rasen defence seemed to have done enough to halt the move.

Unfortunately the ball squirted loose and openside Chris Humphrey was the quickest to react as the ball bobbled over the line.

Nerves crept into the home ranks as a second restart kick was fluffed by not travelling ten metres to give Peterborough Lions the advantage of another attacking scrum.

Rasen regained possession by their own line, but Sutton’s attempted clearance was charged down with flanker Dan Page on hand to make the crucial touchdown. Flyhalf Jaco Steenberg slotted the conversion to extend the visitors lead.

The visitors were first on the attack after the interval, but conceded a penalty to allow Rasen to relieve the pressure.

Sutton’s kick bisected the uprights to bring his side within one score of the lead with half an hour left to play.

Try as they might Rasen couldn’t break down Peterborough and there was nothing they could do to prevent winger Jordan Burgess scoring in the corner in the 30th minute.

Rasen moved purposefully towards the try line as giant lock McCardie peeled off a maul to power his way over. Sutton quickly added the conversion, but with two minutes left Peterborough held tight to win.