Brigg settle for a draw as they extend their unbeaten run to three matches

Coalville 1

Brigg Town FC 1

BRIGG Town FC made its first ever trip to Coalville in Leicestershire for the league game on Saturday afternoon, hoping to extend an unbeaten run of three games.

In the end they had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

After a slow opening period, it was Darren Mansaram who showed neat control out on the right before the ball ran away from him along the goal line.

Brigg settled down to pass the ball well and took the lead after just eight minutes when, with slick movement down the left wing, it was switched into the penalty area for Sam Mulready to apply a poacher’s finishing touch from ten–yards out.

Coalville responded well and a strike at goal was turned round the post by Tom Woodhead.

Brigg continued to have plenty of possession and after winning a left wing corner kick, the ball was scrambled clear from the goal line.

After a free kick from the Coalville defence was played into the Brigg penalty area, the ball was cleared for a right wing corner kick, which Tom Woodhead dealt with by punching clear.

Brigg were reduced to ten men after half an hour’s play when Liam Davis was dismissed for retaliation against two consecutive poor late tackles on him from behind as he worked his way into the penalty area.

Brigg reorganised and played deeper, allowing the home team more possession, but proving to be solid at the back.

The second half saw the home team completely on the offensive, but Brigg defended well and were well organised, helped by some erratic finishing.

Indeed the home team only got level at 1-1 from a disputed penalty decision, which the referee awarded for a foul inside the area by Chas Fisher when he looked to be tripped himself.

Brigg’s battling performance was worthy of the point gained against an in-form home team and they were unlucky throughout with key decisions going against them.

Next Saturday, the run of away games continues with a trip to New Mills in the High Peak area.