worker charged over home blast

A LABOURER is facing three gas safety charges after an explosion ripped through a couple’s home.

Daniel Hickling, 32, of Main Street, Howsham has been charged with leaving Nettleton couple Martyn and Teresa Moody in danger after doing gas fitting work at their home.

Self-employed Mr Hickling is also charged with failing to register with the Gas Safe Register and carrying out gas fitting work he was not capable of doing.

The prosecution, being brought by the Health and Safety Executive, comes after a blast at Mr and Mrs Moody’s Moortown Road home on July 21 last year.

The couple ended up having to have emergency surgery for burns. Mr Moody suffered 40 per cent burns to his face, chest and arms and Mrs Moody suffered 20 per cent burns to her feet and arms.

The explosion lifted the roof and rocked the front of the house off its foundations – debris was thrown up to 100 metres away.

Mr Hickling is being charged under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and will appear at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court on September 19.