During World War Two Royal Air Force Winthorpe was a major RAF station providing vital training for aircrews destined for No.5 Group bomber squadrons operating in Lincolnshire.
Now a new book documents the history of the station, which was located close to the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire county border.
After several years of detailed research, Colin Savill BA (Hons), a graduate of Bishop Grosseteste University College, has written a new history of RAF Winthorpe, which has been published by the Newark (Notts & Lincs) Air Museum located on part of the former RAF Winthorpe airfield site.
The book is entitled RAF Winthorpe – The Story of an Airfield 1939 – 1959 and contains around 120 black and white photographs and illustrations, along with a Foreword by the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford KCB CBE ADC RAF.
Copies of the book are now available from the Museum Shop at £15 each and anyone wishing to purchase a copy can visit the museum between 10am and 4pm daily, with no need to pay a museum admission fee if you just wish to shop.
Copies are also available by mail order - please check for rates; telephone 01636 707170.
And next Saturday, November 15, there will be a book signing event in the Museum Shop between 10am and 3pm, when Colin will be on hand to sign copies of the book and to discuss aspects of his research.
The book is in softback format, ISBN 978-0-9500341-6-4.