Severe damage caused by flat fire
Carelessly discarded smoking materials were to blame for a flat blaze in Market Rasen, fire investigators have confirmed.
The town’s main street was closed for more than two hours on Wednesday, February 6, as fire crews tackled a blaze at a flat above the Mayyah Indian Takeaway in Queen Street.
Crews from Market Rasen, Caistor and North Lincoln attended the incident, where eyewitnesses reported seeing smoke ‘billowing’ from the top floor of the three-storey building.
“There was lots of black smoke coming out of the building,” said Margaret Lakin-Whitworth, manager of the Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance shop almost opposite the site of the fire.
A spokesman for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue told the Mail the fire started in a top floor bedroom.
He said: “Severe fire damage was caused to that bedroom and severe smoke damage to the rest of the third floor.
“We would remind people of the importance of making sure smoking materials are extinguished properly.”
The spokesman confirmed the flat was fitted with smoke alarms and no-one had been injured in the incident.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Market Rasen
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North west