AS TEMPERATURES fall, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is urging everyone to be careful about how they heat their home.
The advice comes during the year’s busiest period for fires caused by household heating, which started almost 18 per cent of last winter’s total number of accidental house fires in Lincolnshire.
Debbie Robinson, deputy community fire safety manager, said: “In the past, we’ve had reports of people using some really unsafe methods to keep warm – like leaving oven doors open and gas hobs on.
“But apparently safe heating can turn disastrous too, if precautions aren’t taken.
“Make sure that you don’t put anything too close to open fires or portable heaters; carefully check electrical cables, plugs, gas pipes and connections; and if you use an open fire or wood burning stove, ensure that you use suitable fuel and have the chimney swept.
To discuss concerns or for a free home fire safety check, call 01522 582222 and ask for the community safety department or email HFSC@lincoln.fire-uk.org.