Family’s lucky escape after house fire

Fire station EMN-150728-095646001
Fire station EMN-150728-095646001
0
Have your say

A family of four, including a four-month-old baby, had a lucky escape after a kitchen fire caused “substantial” damage to their house.

Firefighters were called to a house in Ash Grove, Brigg at 12.36pm on July 22 where a fire had engulfed the 
kitchen.

A Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the blaze was caused by a box of crisps left on a cooker hob that was turned on.

The spokesman said: “There was quite substantial damage to the property and temporary accommodation has been taken with family and 
friends.

“There was fire damage to the ground floor and smoke damage to the first 
floor.

“We used two hose reels and four breathing apparatus and got the fire out pretty 
quickly.”

The property was semi-detached and the fire caused some smoke damage to the adjacent house.

Two fire engines, both from Scunthorpe, arrived on the scene at 12.49pm.

When they arrived the kitchen was “well alight”, according the spokesman.

The spokesman said all family members - two adults, a two-year-old boy and a four-month-old baby boy - had been accounted for when firefighters arrived.

He said the fire service advised the mother and two children to get checked over at hospital but they 
refused.

The spokesman said: “Smoke detectors were fitted and working in the property, which is good.”

If you live in Brigg and would like information about fitting a smoke alarm, call Humberside Fire and Rescue on 01482 565333.

For residents in the Market Rasen and Caistor area call Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue on 01522 582222.