A VILLAGE chapel is marking its centenary this weekend.
Glentham Methodist Chapel begins its 100th birthday celebrations with a floral display and music on Saturday from 10am.
Throughout the day, noted musicians will play the organ and piano, and there will also be photographic displays showing the church’s life down the years.
Refreshments will be served until 4pm.
To round the day off, the Glentham Singers will be giving a concert at 7pm. A retiring collection will be held and refreshments will be served.
Past minister the Rev John Bown will be leading the worship on Sunday, which starts at 10.45am and will be followed by a shared lunch and barbecue.
The present church building began life as Caenby Village Institute and was bought by the church trustees in 1911 for the sum of £200.
The conversion left a shortfall of £200 and the outstanding debt was cleared in 1916 with the help of 32 piglets.
Each piglet was adopted by one of the congregation for rearing and then sold at market for about £6 each.
In the 19th century, Primitives, Free and Wesleyan Methodists met in their own buildings. The original pews and pulpit were removed from the Wesleyan Chapel and incorporated into the new church during the summer of 1911.
A potted history of Glentham Methodist Church will be available over the weekend, and everyone is invited to go along and join in the celebrations.