Market Rasen’s historic train station building looks set to be ‘saved’ thanks to a plan to convert the unused building to managed workspace office accommodation.
The Lindum Group has submitted plans to change the use of the Grade II listed building, also seeking listed building consent to allow internal and external alterations.
The station building was erected in 1848 when the railway line opened from Barnetby to Market Rasen and then to Lincoln. From 1895 to 1920 it even contained a WH Smith bookstall, but the station building closed in 1981.
“A small group of volunteers have adopted the station, and attend to the flower planting, wall paintings (all by local artists), ongoing repairs, maintenance and renovation, plus daily cleanliness checks,” said the application.
“Importantly the development would be in partnership with the Heritage Lottery Fund who have expressed an interest in this particular scheme as this particular listed building is on the West Lindsey District Council’s ‘at risk’ register,” the Design and Access statement continued.
The proposal is to “revive an existing Listed Building which is on the at risk register, by making alterations to adapt its use to a managed workspace.”
However, the sale conditions prevent access from the proposed offices directly to the platforms, but the doors on the platform side, which are mostly boarded-up, would be replaced as close to the original style as possible. The platform side of the building would remain unaltered apart from the proposal to return it to its original facade where this is practical.
The 150m2 development does not include parking, but as it is situated at the train station, there is parking nearby, the report added.