Have you joined web campaign?
Areas suffering from little or no broadband service are being highlighted as part of a campaign to improve connectivity.
A map showing huge areas of so-called ‘not-spots’ across Market Rasen and the wider county has been drawn up by Lincolnshire County Council in the hope that businesses in the area will be spurred into action and register with the Onlincolnshire.org website.
The lighter colours on the map indicate that the speeds in those areas are on average below 2mbps, or non-existent, meaning simple things many take for granted, such as using BBC iPlayer, simply do not function.
A total of 123 businesses in the Market Rasen area have already added their voice to the campaign, but hundreds more are needed to reach the county-wide target of 10,000 by December.
The list of business sign-ups to the website will eventually be used to lobby service providers to put the infrastructure in place across the county.
Simon Beardsley, chief E-executive of the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce, which is spearheading the campaign on behalf of the council along with the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) and the Institute of Directors (IoD), said: “This map is a stark wake-up call for all businesses in Market Rasen and the surrounding area to realise just how much we are missing out on.
“It is concerning, but unfortunately not surprising, that so many of the spots are red – showing they have little or no connection.
“I would hope to see every business in Market Rasen sign up to the campaign and show this is a place that demands a better broadband service.”
Countywide, 1,015 businesses have answered the call for poor connectivity to be improved.
Brian Sayer, director of independent aromatherapy, cosmetics and toiletry company Potions & Possibilities, based at Gallamore Lane Industrial Estate, said: “Broadband in Market Rasen has historically been quite slow and investment in broadband services will be very welcome to businesses here. As technology advances, we need to keep pace with it.”
The Onlincolnshire initiative is part of Lincolnshire County Council’s Lincolnshire Broadband Plan, which aims to bring next-generation broadband (a minimum of 24Mbps) to 90 per cent of county premises by 2015 and a guarantee of at least 2Mbps for the remaining 10 per cent.
Public and private sector funding worth around £57 million will be invested in a better service, including £10m from the county council and £4m from the district councils and European Union.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Market Rasen
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 28 mph
Wind direction: North east