IT IS celebration time for members of East Barkwith WI as they mark their 60th anniversary.
A their latest monthly meeting, president Yvonne Bryson had the pleasure of cutting the ‘too good to eat cake’ designed, baked and beautifully decorated by member Mary Hoban.
She had depicted the WI and their activities in icing in the minutest detail, with the top tier designed as a tea party, including a pretty cloth, the best china tea service, with a selection of sandwiches and colourful cup cakes.
The bottom tier was surrounded by a group of members and in addition there was a book with the words and music for Jerusalem, some knitting, a ramblers sign for the walkers and vegetables for showing and the annual charity produce sale to illustrate some of the activities East Barkwith WI takes part in.
Members have also held a celebration lunch at the Turnor Arms Hotel, Wragby and will also be holding a barbecue at a member’s home.
East Barkwith WI was formed in 1951 and the inaugural meeting was held in the old YMCA hut, when Miss Wright of Raithby, Voluntary County Organiser, attended to explain the purpose of the Women’s Institute and its principles.
It had been organised by Mrs S Binnall the wife of the Rector at the time and the 21 people present all enrolled during the evening. Twelve more members enrolled at the following meeting, when Mrs Binnall was elected as the first president.
The following June, meetings transferred to the Parish Room, which was attached to the Rectory, and Rachel Clark attended the Annual General Meeting in London as East Barkwith’s first delegate. In 1976, a celebration dinner was held at the Bull Hotel, Horncastle to celebrate the 25th anniversary and the president, Joan Cartwright, proposed a toast to the 23 members on the role then.