There has been an inn on the site since 1500 and in the days of the stagecoach it was a key posting house in Lincolnshire.
Farmers in the 17th century paid their rent there, while Oliver Cromwell stayed during the English Civil War – quite a start to the inn’s life.
By the 19th century, the building incorporated the offices of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway – and it was to the coming of the railway and the visitors it brought that the Angel was to adapt.
The end of the stagecoach had been felt, but Joseph Skevington constructed a huge dining room in 1880 and 10 years later the courtyard was roofed with glass and the conservatory feel has lasted to the present day.
It was Skevington who also added the Tudor frontage.
A JP, Skevington was perceived as a respected member of the community, but one night the police raided The Angel and a high stake gambling group was caught red handed – it was against the law.
Skevington departed and the colourful Billy Bridgewater replaced him.
The Dickensian-like character always wore a bowler hat and the Liverpudlian landlord stayed until 1928, when The Angel was sold to the Barnsley brewery. Then it was acquired by Hewitt Bros and the giant Bass Charrington.
By the late 1980s, the building needed massive refurbishment and the company received an offer from developers and when the developers pulled out, Glanford Borough Council stepped in.
The property became what many perceived as a glorified office block, not quite what ‘Briggensians’ had grown to love.
The town had to be patient and there were positive changes as The Angel Suite was created as a community room in the old ballroom.
There is no other local council able to claim that its makes its decisions beneath chandeliers.
Now it has once again become a focal point in the town and hopefully its development as a Library and Heritage Centre, and the footfall created, will lead it to a new but very different and positive era.
Things are looking up.
l Photos courtesy of John Holland.