Heading into the history of the far east – of Rasen
WHEN people think about the history of Market Rasen, the focus tends to be on what is considered to be the main area of the town – around the market place.
But the eastern side of the town has a lot of history to discover.
One area of interest is Chapman Street.
As well as housing a long-gone slaughter house – although still within living memory for many - the street was also home to the Vagrants Ward.
Back in 1777, a parliamentary report recorded a parish workhouse in operation at Market Rasen for 17 inmates – although it is not known if it was on this site.
The Poor Law Act of 1782 – often referred to as Gilbert’s Act after its founder Thomas Gilbert – came into being “for the better relief and employment of the poor”, outlining a basic level of accommodation – “not too comfortable to make them move on” and “in return for work of some kind”.
In 1837, new regulations required food and a night shelter for any destitute person in sudden or urgent necessity – these became known as tramp or vagrant wards.
Hopefuls would arrive in afternoon – if they left it too late, there would be no spaces available – and were required to strip and wash, in water used by previous arrivees – another inducement to be early in the queue.
They were then given a nightshirt and blanket and locked in at 7pm until 6am – no alcohol, tobacco or money were allowed.
In the morning, their clothes were returned and they would be allocated jobs to ‘pay’ for their stay.
The fields around the ward were used for this – cutting hay, clearing stones etc – and sometimes they worked for local farmers.
In return for their work, they were given bread, or in latter years, tokens that had to be spent in certain local shops, and sent on their way.
They were not allowed to claim again from that ward for many months, hence a circuit arose of vagrants, tramping from ward to ward.
The 1901 census for Market Rasen shows a 28-year-old spinster called Fannie Drayton was the Matron of the Ward, with James Nelson the superintendent and three male vagrants claiming relief that night.
They came from Liverpool, Great Yarmouth and Wolverhampton.
It is unclear when the vagrant ward changed to be an old people’s home, but it was probably after the formation of the NHS.
The Rasen Mail of 1950 reports extensions made to the building – named as the County Council Old Folks Home.
It also says warm tributes were paid to Warden and Matron of the Market Rasen Hostel Mrs Gough – it is understood her daughter, Mrs York, took over the reins at a later date.
The picture above shows the home was named The Poplars at some point, but it is unclear when it was pulled down to make way for the current Poplars, now run by the St John Care Trust.
Maybe a reader can tell us?
Grateful thanks go to Hazel Barnard for the use of her research into the Vagrant Ward to be used in this article.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Market Rasen
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west